Saturday, February 23, 2013

Reasons I love getting older

I just enjoyed my birthday on Monday, and obviously aging is all about perspective. Here I am looking down the barrel of 49 and feeling the best I have ever felt in my life–physically, mentally and emotionally than I ever was in my 20s and 30s. Things have definitely gotten better as time has gone on.
 
Reasons why getting older is fun:
1)  You will get more high-fives if you're dating or your partner is a younger man!
2)  You have the leeway to say whether you are "too young" or "too old" to do something; whichever is to your advantage–take it!
3)  You are more brave about saying want is on your mind. I love that I've grown stronger and will say to my boyfriend, "Hey Jackass, you didn't blah..blah"
4)  You have the confidence to wear a red bikini. It's true I laugh easier, exist inside my body comfortably and don't care as much about other people judging me physically. I'm also wiser and understand the folly of superficiality I sometimes see with younger people.
Myself and my mom, an awesome woman of a certain age.
5)  Your jewelry collection has grown into something you covet and can talk boastfully about. Mine is quite eclectic because I have acquired some lovely pieces over the years, especially the last 10 years. Through an early inheritance, gifts from lovers and exes, and from finally having money to buy the jewelry I simply adore.
6)  You will find yourself more spontaneous. I imagine and continue to aim towards leading a simpler life that I can more easily walk away from, perhaps to take advantage of a cheap flight or home exchange.
7)  You remind myself that you could never have done the things you've done and made all those memories without the passage of time.
8)  Any regrets you had now seem like a bump in the road!
Xo, Sharon Marzonie

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin