Tuesday, August 26, 2014

30 Days of Indie Travel | Learning Languages, Day 13

If you could wake up tomorrow knowing any one language (one you don’t already know), what would it be and why?

I am hopelessly ungifted with languages. No natural talent whatsoever. In high school I wasn't a fan of speaking outloud in class and grateful (at the time) a foreign language was not a requirement to graduate. So like most American children, I was not exposed to many languages other than just English. I barely learned French in college. Un poquito Spanish has made its way into my vocabulary, but not really irredeemably so; because I lived in Tucson, Arizona for many years and traveled extensively in Mexico/Baja, the sounds and words started drifting in by proximity.

To answer the question, I wish I could wake up knowing Spanish, as I already have a jump start on it and also, it's the second most-spoken language of the world. Although Mandarin actually is population wise, with Spanish second and English third.

I like the idea of starting small today, with learning to toast life (or to send random bubbles of love) in as many different languages as possible. The clinking of glasses that cements friendships and celebrates new ones. I'm in Denmark today, therefore Skål! (pronounced Skoal in Denmark and Skawl in Sweden) Love, Sharon

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin